Unworthy of the Lunar Name Because...

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
7CityRansom
Nanza Bandit
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Unworthy of the Lunar Name Because...

Post by 7CityRansom »

Monde Luna wrote:
7CityRansom wrote:Every time I exhaled the game thought I was running away from battle.
:lol:
You must have some exhale.
Yeah, I guess that's what I get for running while playing. Bottom line is that this game is not treadmill friendly. Bogus! :evil:

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Old but just want to add in...I disliked that the battle screen covered both DS screens. Like I can't tell you how many times I forgot I had flying monsters left in battle till they lowered down. -__-
I think that's one of the things that really kills the game for me. (I still haven't beaten it)

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JonOU812 »

Sad thing is that I did beat it, very easily too. I thought it was decent at the time, but as I looked further down the road it didn't live up to my expectations of the past two.

PROS
  • Graphics were pretty decent coming from a DS game
  • Battle system was somewhat easy to understand
  • Music (as far as I can remember) was decent
CONS
  • Story didn't make much sense
  • Dual screen was a pain, mainly focused on what you were fighting and not above
  • Cards didn't feel that important
  • Bosses were weak to almost everything (e.g. final boss weak to poison)
  • Running drains HP
  • Didn't live up to the hype
Check Out My Youtube Channel: YOUTUBE
Follow Me on Twitter: TWITTER
Watch Me Stream: TWITCH

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Short version:
1. Because the battle graphics are less than half as good as Lunar Legend on GBA.
2. Battles are too slow, even with the L+R trick.
3. Characters names are weird.

Long version:

Losing HP when running and the overall battle mechanic are what ruined the game the most.
But there were a few things i almost never see anyone mention...

The battle graphics. They're HORRIBLE!
The overworld and dungeons/ towns look so neat, but inside battle? To me EVERYTHING looks wrong.

In battle, we see:
1. A background
2. Enemies
3. Heroes
4. Menu

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae53 ... gen012.jpg
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae53 ... s/LDS1.jpg

Well? The background, for the majority of the game looks like crap.
The enemies, some of them look ok... but then they look like crap when they move and attack.
The heroes, they look ok, their design and animation is mostly, good, not epic, but is ruined by distorted pixels caused by a strange zoom they have since it's kind of a 3D environment.
The menu and icons in it all look weird and rushed.

Just play Lunar 1 and 2 on PS1, or even Lunar 1 in GBA, and see how nice and beautiful everything looks. You can tell a professional drew those backgrounds and did that pixel art / animation. In Lunar Dragon Song it just looks like a bad fan project. They're still OK, cause there are many enemies and different backgrounds for places, which look better in later parts of the game, but its just barely ok. The ONLY THING that saves the battles for me is the music, those are darn good and worthy of Lunar.

As for the story and characters, well, I actually liked the story..... for a first RPG on DS, it's great.
I mean has anyone played Children of Mana? ................................. anyway... the story is great but it has flaws, like taking too much from SSS. The names of the characters are weird too. I am not a professional at writing story or creating characters... but UGH. Jian Campbell. It sounds like Roy Campbell from Metal Gear Solid.
What, was Jian Campbell from the USA? Did the USA exist in the Blue Star before people moved to Lunar?
I don't know why this name bothers me so much, when we have names like Alex, Kyle, Jessica, and all that in Lunar.
What if the hero of Lunar 3 is named Jeff Gordon? -__- I would scream.
The only thing that can lead me to believe that these names can exist in a world like Lunar is the pop culture stuff added in translation for the original Lunars.
... which brings me to the next name. Lucia Collins. WHAT! Lucia?? from Lunar 2? It's not the same Lucia. It is never implied to be the same. So why have 2 Lucias in the Lunar universe? I would forgive them if they had a lot of characters, or if this new Lucia was epic, but no. They just ran out of creativity. Why Collins? It's like Phil Collins. From the band Genesis. And this game is called Lunar Genesis originally. Phil Collins is great, and so was the band Genesis, but ugh... what does this have to do with Lunar? So we got Lucia from Lunar 2 and Phil Collins from Genesis, combined into Lucia Collins. I mean, combine a chocolate drink with an orange juice. No, thats not bad enough... wait I got it! Put toothpaste inside an oreo instead of the white oreo cream. Now eat it. :mrgreen:
Ignatius name bothered me. I dunno why. I can totally imagine an epic villain with this name, but Dragon Song's Ignatius is meh.
Gad's Delivery. It's like Oh my GAD really??

Enclave
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Enclave »

I think the problem with DS' battle sprites is that it looks like they were drawn in a smaller resolution initially, but had their size doubled later on without any adjustments. Granted, they're not the best sprites ever in the first place, but still.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Kizyr wrote:The entire story was a dream. KF
Wait. I remember reading about this, but I don't know where. Any info / link?
I even watched the ending of the game again to find a clue about this, and nothing.
It probably has to do with Titus, but I completely forgot.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

jay_are wrote:
I even watched the ending of the game again to find a clue about this, and nothing.
The only evidence in the game is how terribly-executed the storyline is, and how it omits or includes details that contradict other parts of the established Lunar timeline (most notably the human-beastman conflict).

No one ever *says* it's a dream in any of the material. But hey, whenever I dream, no one in my dreams ever tells me that I'm dreaming. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Kizyr wrote:
jay_are wrote:
The only evidence in the game is how terribly-executed the storyline is, and how it omits or includes details that contradict other parts of the established Lunar timeline (most notably the human-beastman conflict).

No one ever *says* it's a dream in any of the material. But hey, whenever I dream, no one in my dreams ever tells me that I'm dreaming. KF
Study up on how to notice this yourself. Lucid dreaming is awesome!

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

looool... ok. I thought it was something like Titus made everything up or was telling a dream he had, and when the game ends, you see him telling the story to Peres... and then turns into a fairy. WHAT TA F.
Leo wrote:Study up on how to notice this yourself. Lucid dreaming is awesome!
Funny thing is I once had a dream of Lunar Dragon Song being ported to GameCube (back in the day) with all problems fixed.
I remember the game looking the same but very beautiful, and very smooth to control and logical to play.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

If they did that, they'd have to be pulling the ultimate con.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time