Hey, has anybody else thought of this?

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Hey, has anybody else thought of this?

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I'm beginning to think that Lunar Legend may have had a bit of foreshadowing for Dragon Song. Or aftershadowing. I don't know exactly what you'd call it with Dragon Song being a prequel and all.

But anyway, the part I'm referring to is how in that version of the game the Cave of Trial was changed into ancient long-forgotten ruins under the city of Vane. They never really explained where those ruins came from in that game, did they?

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

Seeing as I haven't played a second game of LL after I finished it, which was quite some time ago, I couldn't tell you whether they mentioned what they were ruins of. Either way, I'd much rather think of it as a Cave of Trial than forgotten ruins. At least the Cave of Trial served an actual purpose, if only after Vane had risen.

I'm going to go see if I can find a transcript of LL somewhere. If not, I'll just replay the game up to that point. You've piqued my interest, even though I'd much prefer it to be the Cave of Trial.
- Mike

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

I do think you're correct about it being a random ruin rather than the Cave of Trial which is sort of interesting considering that the book which mentions the rise of Vane also notes that the ruins of the Magic Empire can no longer be found.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

I tended to figure the ruins in Vane in Lunar Legend were a nod to the Vheen manga and the magic race that used to live there.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Could always be both. I mean, since Vane was supposed to be about 1000 years old in TSS, at this point there won't be any 'ruins' per se--just what the ruins used to be at Vane's founding. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

BTW, just thought about this, but it never directly says the flood that rose Vane tot he skies happened 1000 years before TSS. It just says Vane was founded 1000 years prior, and that 1000 years before TSS, a Magic Empire ruled the world. It's implied that the flood happened at that time, but not directly stated.

Aside from that, it's likely they're not even going off of the TSS line, but rather Legend's, or at least SSS.
-G1

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

I am pretty sure in LL they did refer to the "Cave of Trial" as ruins of an ancient city...before Vane rose?

Rune, in the manga, did the Magic Race live under the city?

Also...was the Cave of Trial a Working Designs thing or was that actual direct translation?
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

MiaOne wrote:I am pretty sure in LL they did refer to the "Cave of Trial" as ruins of an ancient city...before Vane rose?

Rune, in the manga, did the Magic Race live under the city?

Also...was the Cave of Trial a Working Designs thing or was that actual direct translation?

The Magic Race never lived under the city in the manga. The ruins were all above-ground.

The Cave of Trial was a direct translation. There was a myth a while back that WD inserted the Cave of Trial business, but that was perpetrated by idiots who didn't even understand the original games. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Subterranean elves... now that would be something. No wait, those are drow and they're dark-skinned rather than pale. :P (Now that I think about it, shouldn't drow be pale because they never see sunlight?)

I don't think the ruins in Lunar Legend are likely to be a typical structure of the magic race, but they're likely to be mazoku in origin, especially if Nash knows nothing about them, since the mazoku were the only ones around. After all, the humans have their Cave of Trial and we're not normally subterranean either.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I forget exactly what Legend said about the cave, but the area was called Sub-Vane. Which isn't terribly illuminating, I realize. I'm pretty sure that they were called ruins. However, they needn't have originally been underground; cities end up building on top of themselves, so to speak -- look at Underground Seattle, and of course many much older examples elsewhere. The people there even could've started builidng higher in an attempt to escape the flooding before Vane rose on the tide. :P

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Rune Lai wrote:Subterranean elves... now that would be something. No wait, those are drow and they're dark-skinned rather than pale. :P (Now that I think about it, shouldn't drow be pale because they never see sunlight?)

Yeah, that always agitated me that they were dark skinnned :P I was like...wait a minute, now that's not right.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS BELOW DAMNIT STOP READING

With as many times as a "Vane" has been shot down. Maybe one Vane fell ontop of another xD

SPOILER OVER!
SPOILER OVER!
SPOILER OVER!
SPOILER OVER!
We all hate Kizyr.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Ruby »

Thank you Jenner, now I can't get images of a man with a big giantic shot gun screaming, "Pull!" and then having Vane fly forward like a giant clay pidgeon to be shot in half moment's later by said man with giant shotgun. Rine and repeat until out of "clay pidgeons".