Lunar nintendo power scans

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Kizyr »

The length looks like it'll be a decent, full-length game. It might be shortened somewhat by the inability to explore towns as usual... I haven't heard a thing about voice acting, though. If there was to be any, then that information would've been released by now along with the developer information. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Not neccessary, considering the bit about cut scenes was just now announced via the NP article. Though I'd say it's unlikely at this point.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I was surprised to find that they said that there will be cut scenes. Makes me wonder how long they will be, good anime style or just sega cd esk old school style of pixels.

Personally, I would rather lunar stay with sony, maybe the PS2/PSP/PS3. I really haven't been to fond of the DS, and the only nintendo console I like is really the GBA. I guess I just have to wait and see.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kyon
Meribian Merchant

Post by Kyon »

phyco126 wrote:I was surprised to find that they said that there will be cut scenes. Makes me wonder how long they will be, good anime style or just sega cd esk old school style of pixels.

Personally, I would rather lunar stay with sony, maybe the PS2/PSP/PS3. I really haven't been to fond of the DS, and the only nintendo console I like is really the GBA. I guess I just have to wait and see.

I agree.. I kinda wanted the new Lunar to stick with the playstation .. but we'll see how this goes .. :} I pre-ordered mine. xD Moohaha.
*(^-^)* Kyon Neko

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

Kizyr wrote: I haven't heard a thing about voice acting, though. If there was to be any, then that information would've been released by now along with the developer information.]

I sort of agree with G1 about it, though maybe they would have announced something about cutscene voices with the cutscene news in NP. I believe that they'll atleast have voices with small roles such as battle, all the DS games I've played have(SM64DS, Warioware, Bomberman). Maybe not like the previous ones, but something like KH: CoM if you've played it.

On another note, I'm happy to hear you think it'll be decent length...but have you heard something I haven't, or is this a thesis? Personally, I hope it's atleast 20 hours of gameplay ^^ And on top of that I hope the nemesis of the story, whoever that will be, is tough to fight. Something like Zophar was at my pathetically low level (took me about 30 tried to beat him...I'm too stubborn to level up!)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'd be much, much happier if there were no voices. The more time passes the more I feel that voices (in English, at least) only detract from the gaming experience for me, at least in a game where only some stuff is voiced, because when I'm reading the text I likely "hear" a completely different kind of voice in my head. I suppose minimal voicing such as only in introduction scenes might not be too bad, but unless the acting is absolutely perfect and natural it's just a distraction because all the flaws in the delivery are so obvious. (That's also why I don't mind it being in another language, since I generally can't really evaluate the quality if I don't understand what's being said and so it doesn't distract.)

Now I'm going nuts because I can't think of any game I've played that had English voices so good that I didn't mind them at all...oh, right, Monkey Island 3 (except for Elaine) and 4. I knew there was some game that sounded all right.

Regarding game length, isn't this the first RPG for the DS? If so, you can't make any judgments about its length compared to other DS games, because RPGs are generally much longer than games in other genres.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Alunissage wrote:Unlikely. All we know about Nall's origins is that Dyne showed up with him and baby Luna at Alex's house fifteen years before the game time begins, and I think he was described as being a baby too. Mia's just being silly.

You know me all too well Aluin! ;)
Yes, I was being silly. Nall was a baby in TSS/SSSC by most counts so...

I would rather there not be voice acting as well. I mean...I guess it is a part of the Lunar series, but I just don't know how I would be able to stomach bad voice-overs, especially since we haven't had UbiSoft give voices to any of the Lunar characters, it was always Working Designs. I really don't want to see Ubi try....personally...

Charles. Stop with the PSP! :P I would of liked this Lunar to be released say on the PS2, but I'm glad it's not on the PSP...I can imagine that gaming console would be quite a bit more money than the DS.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Though actually that reminds me of the one console videogame I was trying to remember that did have voice acting I really liked: Beyond Good and Evil. And that was an Ubisoft game. (To be honest, I'd almost rather see a sequel to that than another Lunar...it was just that good. Too bad Ubi shot themselves in the foot marketingwise and released it at the worst possible time. :() Although I'm sure that would've been a far different set of people working on it.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote:Too bad Ubi shot themselves in the foot marketingwise and released it at the worst possible time. :()

What exactly was that time?

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I really don't care if there's voice acting or not, I just want a good rpg game. I'm glad it's on the DS instead of the PSP because I don't have the PSP or the money to get one right now.

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

Alunissage wrote:because when I'm reading the text I likely "hear" a completely different kind of voice in my head

Interesing, that doesn't work so well with me because most of the time when I read dialogue (even for female characters) I only hear my own voice in my head. Then on the rare occaission I do imagine the voices, it's mostly made up of the popular american VA anyway, so there's not much difference from what I'd hear. In my opinion, a couple of games that have good VA are Tales of Symphonia, some voices in Xenosaga, both lunars have mostly good voice talent, and like I mentioned before, Kingdom Hearts is good, too. It's hard for me to judge a foreign VA as well for the same reason...but I think people compare WAY too often, and some it seems only say it's good because it sounds good, even though they don't know what's being said. I look at it by itself, not compared to any japanese version...and I'm usually satisfied.

This isn't really related, but I think they should start casting the people who do Jet's and Faye's voices from Cowboy Bebop and the guy who does Vash and Kiba from Trigun and Wolf's Rain more often in video games, I think they make exceptional VA's. Oh, and whoever does Hige...and that guy who does Chaos in Xenosaga, too.

You're right about the length thing, though. I can only hope at this point.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Hehe, as far as voice acting goes, I'm with both of you. I often imagine a voice, but it also normally assimilates well to the voice that I'm imagining, when I hear it (except in the case of games where you hear their voice in the first place, both Lunars being very good examples of that - then I often just go with that mentally from the beginning). As far as villagers go, I sometimes imagine voices for them too, especially if the text has stuttering or some other vocal effect demonstrated.

Now I'm going nuts because I can't think of any game I've played that had English voices so good that I didn't mind them at all...oh, right, Monkey Island 3 (except for Elaine) and 4. I knew there was some game that sounded all right.

Yes, I have to say that's some fine voice acting there. Elaine didn't annoy me, but then I didn't hear her very much at all. Guybrush's role was essential though, and that was pulled off skillfully.

Oh, right, Lunar.

On another note, I'm happy to hear you think it'll be decent length...but have you heard something I haven't, or is this a thesis? Personally, I hope it's atleast 20 hours of gameplay ^^ And on top of that I hope the nemesis of the story, whoever that will be, is tough to fight. Something like Zophar was at my pathetically low level (took me about 30 tried to beat him...I'm too stubborn to level up!)

Didn't Working Designs inflate the difficulty of the games when they were released? If they did (and even if they didn't), I wonder where the difficulty of these games will lie too. I guess, since it's being released so closely, that there will be no difficulty modification, but then, the game could just be plain hard. Hmm... thoughts?

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

I was just wondering...What issue of Nintendo Power did these articles come from? I picked up the newest edition (July 2005) yesterday in the bookstore and the only mention there was for Lunar was a "games to wat ch for" list in which it was listed as "Lunar: Genesis" and "only in development stages"
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Then it's the August one cause it just came out. It probably isn't on newsstands for a few more days.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Sonic# wrote:Yes, I have to say that's some fine voice acting there. Elaine didn't annoy me, but then I didn't hear her very much at all. Guybrush's role was essential though, and that was pulled off skillfully.

Well, her voice was done well enough, it's just that I couldn't reconcile the accent with her dialogue in the first two games. None of the other voices conflicted, but her accent and delivery just didn't seem to match how I'd always imagined her saying her lines in MI 1 and 2. However, her voice in 4 was spot-on.

Didn't Working Designs inflate the difficulty of the games when they were released? If they did (and even if they didn't), I wonder where the difficulty of these games will lie too. I guess, since it's being released so closely, that there will be no difficulty modification, but then, the game could just be plain hard. Hmm... thoughts?

I'm trying to remember what they modified about the Lunars, but all I'm coming up with are the spell (and item?) costs in EB as well as Borgan's difficulty (which was actually lower in the US one). I haven't played enough of TSS in Japanese to know, although I might be able to compare strategy guides. I think the PS games were pretty much left alone.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Sonic# wrote:Didn't Working Designs inflate the difficulty of the games when they were released? If they did (and even if they didn't), I wonder where the difficulty of these games will lie too. I guess, since it's being released so closely, that there will be no difficulty modification, but then, the game could just be plain hard. Hmm... thoughts?

The only Lunar games I haven't played in both English and Japanese are Eternal Blue for the Sega CD and Silver Star Story for the Saturn. Every other game, though, is of comparable difficulty. I didn't notice any changes between EBC and TSS either way.

I remember hearing that EB's difficulty was tweaked. When I get around to playing that I might make a comment.

Oh! They did change Vay's difficulty. I can't remember how they altered it, but Lucca knows much more since she played through (and made notes for) the Japanese version of Vay. Which is rare since, well, aside from her and myself I don't know too many Vay fans. ...oh yeah, and Pottle. But he doesn't count. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hey, I liked Vay. I've never replayed it, other than the very beginning when I was showing it to a friend of mine, but I did enjoy it and want to replay it sometime. I think JWL is a fan of it too, or at least remembers it well.

I don't know about the other aspects, but the most infamous change is the Wind Elemental. My housemate and I stopped playing for at least three weeks (completing at least one other game in that time) because of frustration with that. I'm pretty much certain that tweak was accidental, though, at least in its magnitude. They also changed the spell costs; I remember Lucca or JWL mentioning that the healing spells in the Japanese one are a lot cheaper and more feasible to use. I don't remember being short on MP much when I played, but it was only my second RPG.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:They also changed the spell costs; I remember Lucca or JWL mentioning that the healing spells in the Japanese one are a lot cheaper and more feasible to use. I don't remember being short on MP much when I played, but it was only my second RPG.

Ah yes... spell costs. I almost never used magic in that game, save for the occasional fire and lightning spells against real hard enemies. I always stocked up on healing items instead a la FF1. As hard as that game was, I figure the spell costs should've been kept low. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I'm not a huge Vay fan, but I did enjoy it :) I got to the very end and somehow deleted it and after that... I just never played again ^^;

I hope to one of these days. It was a nice game. I need to get that Nintendo Power too, wanna add it to my Lunar collection x)

laus
Iluk Crackpot

Post by laus »

Hi y'all

I'm new to these boards and also new to the Lunar Serie. I'm really looking forward to Lunar DS. I'm a big RPG & Nintendo fan and since Lunar DS is the first RPG for the handheld, I can't wait for it :D

And here's some new scans from Nintendo Dream:
http://www.jeux-france.com/news10900_sc ... -song.html

The more I look at new screens, the better the game looks. I still think the graphics could've been better but it seems to look better than the last bunch of screens we've been seeing. Or maybe it's just me.
I also noticed the total lack of shadows for the sprites which is suprising considering the game is almost done. I hope they add them. :?

But anyway, as long as it has a good story, good characters and good battle system I don't really care about the graphics.

btw anyone can translate the scans?