I finally finished it...

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

I finally finished it...

Post by Kizyr »

I finally beat Lunar: Dragon Song. I already beat Lunar: Genesis way back, before it was released in the US, so it wasn't really killing me not finishing the game for so long. And I must say, it's actually not so bad if you take breaks in playing it for a while.

I'm also happy that they spelled my name correctly.

But anyway, reflections about the game... In retrospect, that 7.5 rating was a bit generous; I'd probably give it a 6/10 now.

(I'm still a harsh grader. So for comparison:
Eternal Blue = 10
Tales of Phantasia = 9
Chrono Trigger = 8
Albert Odyssey = 7
Shining Wisdom = 6
Breath of Fire I = 5
Final Fantasy I = 4)

The story and other basic aspects of the game were generally fun. Considering it was a handheld, and I wasn't expecting something epic, then I wasn't disappointed with the length at all. It did add some to the Lunar universe, and the cast of characters was unique compared to previous Lunar games. But the main gripe story-wise was that there were so many occasions where it could've been fleshed out better. The translation was all right, and there were pieces that were very well done (e.g., the last few lines of the ending), but other parts that really needed someone to check for spelling and consistency.

Gameplay wise, there were a few things I enjoyed. I liked the card system (once I learned how convenient stuff like the MP-restorative cards were), the Virtue/Normal mode system (enemies were easy enough to where leveling up wasn't a big concern), and being able to run all the time. What I didn't like the most was how the battles themselves were crap; not being able to even select who you target just made the battles completely uninteresting. And, I know magic's supposed to be uncommon, but they could at least let you use multiple skills for Gab, or more than one spell for Jian without having to equip stuff.

So overall, it wasn't a bad game. It was fun. And I might play it again sometime. But to be honest, it's the low point in the Lunar series, and I really hope that the next game picks things up. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Grey Fox
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Grey Fox »

I think the problem that everyone had with Dragon Song was that it wasn't the traditional Lunar game that we were all used to playing. It was something a little different, and the deal breaker was it wasn't as good as a different game.

It's much like Children of Mana, it was just about the same game that you'd gotten with previous the previous Mana series, but it was changed in some way that some people didn't like and some people were simply okay with.

I personally didn't enjoy Dragon Song when I played it being too much of a traditionalist. I wanted Lunar but was denied what I really wanted. That was another 2-D old school RPG that I could sit down and be immersed in an engaging story and beautiful art.

All together though, the experience for me was lost when it didn't feel like Lunar, and that was a major part of the game. It didn't feel it, neither did very many other people. That was the only problem it faced.
No ma'am...no your computer isn't broken, you are...

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: I finally finished it...

Post by phyco126 »

Kizyr wrote:I'm also happy that they spelled my name correctly. KF
I'm confused about that part.

Anyway, nice little review. Although I can't play the game, even though I own it (I don't have a DS,) if I was given the chance I'm not sure I want to play it. I'm not exactly keen about playing something that may hurt my view on Lunar. :(

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm confused about that part.
Me and Kiz have our names in the credits of the game.

When you have a name that people aren't used to saying, they tend to screw it up. Lots of people write my name as Micky, without the e. And with a name like Kaiser Farooque (Did I get it right Kiz? I'm going off memory.) people probably mispell his name. Though you do have an ultra cool name Kiz.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:When you have a name that people aren't used to saying, they tend to screw it up. Lots of people write my name as Micky, without the e. And with a name like Kaiser Farooque (Did I get it right Kiz? I'm going off memory.) people probably mispell his name. Though you do have an ultra cool name Kiz.
Yeah, you got it right. And thanks. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

GhaleonOne wrote:Me and Kiz have our names in the credits of the game.
Are the credits listed somewhere? (Other than assumably requiring me to beat the game again.)

I was actually kind of interested in knowing what handled what in LDS, as compared to the others.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Ah, cool. I'm sure it was mentioned when the game came out, but I am very forgetful at times (lots of times,) why was your names in the credits? As game testers?

A lot off topic, but Kiz, I have to ask... how the heck do you pronounce your screen name, and your real name? I've been pronouncing your screen name as basically Kiz-e-er. And I naturally pronounce your real name as ki-zer fa-roo-coo. ><;

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Ok here's some shots of the game credits:
phyco wrote:Ah, cool. I'm sure it was mentioned when the game came out, but I am very forgetful at times (lots of times,) why was your names in the credits? As game testers?
Both me and G1 gave feedback on the storyboard. I also gave a lot of translation suggestions and guidelines, particularly on proper names (they agreed with some of it, not on others--I was recommending some of the Beastman towns be translated with Germanic-sounding names, like Hielritz or Liefen, e.g., but I believe they added the reference to TSS/SSS at the end of the game per one of the suggestions I made).

G1 also designed the website, of course, and I wrote most of the text and information for it.
phyco wrote:A lot off topic, but Kiz, I have to ask... how the heck do you pronounce your screen name, and your real name? I've been pronouncing your screen name as basically Kiz-e-er. And I naturally pronounce your real name as ki-zer fa-roo-coo. ><;
My first name is pronounced the same way it is normally in English (long I, z sound, etc., like Kaiser Permanente, Henry J. Kaiser, or Kaiser Soze from Usual Suspects). My screenname Kizyr is an obscure Russian spelling of my first name, so it's pronounced the same way (I actually derived it from changing a letter off of Kazyr, the main villain in Popful Mail).

But if you want to be like Jenner and go "Kizzer" then that's fine, too.

My (real) last name is simple if you don't try too hard. "Far", then "oo" is long like in "pool", and it ends with a "k" sound (you don't pronounce the "ue"). It's the same name as Faruk, Farook, or Farooq (alternative spellings). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Good. I've been mentally pronouncing your name correctly then.

Anyways, it is really nice to have my name in one of the games past just the haiku listings from EBC. I am curious who Rich Kubiszweski was.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Nice to know I've pronounced the screen name correctly as well as your first name. Saddly, can't say the same for your last name, sorry ^^;.

Must be nice to have your names in the credits of a Lunar game. *sigh* So dreamy. XD

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Kiz how could you give FF 1 a 4 out of 10 it spawned the whole series of final fantasy games thats like giving the ford model T a low score because it cant keep up with a viper.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I wouldn't even bother giving it a 4. It was a crapfest, IMO, and the worst game in the main series. It was so bloody boring, I never even came close to finishing it. Both the first Dragon Warrior/Quest and Phantasy Star were better. There was no real story to the game, the gameplay was bloody boring, it just wasn't worth much, and I assume Kiz felt the same way, considering the score he gave it.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

exigence wrote:Kiz how could you give FF 1 a 4 out of 10 it spawned the whole series of final fantasy games thats like giving the ford model T a low score because it cant keep up with a viper.

Also, if you can capitalize "K", "T", and "FF", then you can capitalize the first letter of your sentences.
G1 wrote:I wouldn't even bother giving it a 4. It was a crapfest, IMO, and the worst game in the main series. It was so bloody boring, I never even came close to finishing it. Both the first Dragon Warrior/Quest and Phantasy Star were better. There was no real story to the game, the gameplay was bloody boring, it just wasn't worth much, and I assume Kiz felt the same way, considering the score he gave it.
I actually didn't think it was that bad. But 'historical significance' doesn't make something a good game. FF1 was tedious (you had to level up for hours, if not days, to progress), and it had no storyline. The only reason it's any decent is for nostalgia's sake. I gave it a 4 because it's playable, perhaps, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they had some way to cheat around the tedious and boring parts--even then it's not worth playing that much. I actually can't think of very many games that rate a 0-to-3

Also, yeah, PS1 and Dragon Warrior 1 were contemporaries, and both of them were very good games (Phantasy Star 1, especially). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I liked FF1 well enough, but I only played the GBA version, so I might feel differently if I'd played it on NES. Ended up maxing out all my characters because I was playing around with the extra dungeons. And I do want to play it again with a different party, and promoting them sometime before level 45 this time.

Oh, and a few years ago I met a kid named Kizer who looked a whole lot like a younger version of Kizyr as seen in the photos he's posted. He was also one of the most polite eleven-year-olds I've ever encountered.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Oh, and a few years ago I met a kid named Kizer who looked a whole lot like a younger version of Kizyr as seen in the photos he's posted. He was also one of the most polite eleven-year-olds I've ever encountered.
Couldn't've been related. I was a real jerk when I was 11. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

The only interesting part to FF1 is debating what, exactly, the best party is.

But then, FF1 sort of predates stories. Stories weren't invented yet. At least, not in Squaresoft, anyway.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.