Yes, I played and finished Lunar: Dragon Dung (SPOILERS)

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Yes, I played and finished Lunar: Dragon Dung (SPOILERS)

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Okay, now I see the reference moreso to Lunar: The Silver Star/SSSC. I feel they wrote this game very sloppy (obviously) and Lucia/Goddess Althena talks about wanting to perish from Lunar so humans, beastmen, and even the Vile Tribe can live and rule together. As a prequel, this game takes place even before the legend of the four heroes. Iit isn't until that story that Althena should have wanted the people on Lunar to believe in themselves and not require her existence, but if the ideology is to follow Dragon Song's story then Althena's rebirth in every game is ruined by an evil wanting to recall the Goddess' powers so they can rule over Lunar.

I will say the ending of Dragon Song did delve more into Althena's true intent for the people of Lunar, but the game itself was like walking through dog sh|t. The ending is a major dose of "WTF" and Ignatius was a pathetic excuse for an ancestor of Ghaleon. Also, it was a bit confusing when walking into Vile Castle, then into the Chamber of Rebirth, and then outside into four stupid towers that warp you to enemy infested dungeons where you only win collection cards, and then go back to the Chamber of Rebirth with the characters wondering what it was ("This must be the Chamber of Rebirth!" DUHHHHH). So, how do we end up in the Chamber of Rebirth in the Vile Castle, which takes us to the Goddess Tower, which takes us to the Cathedral of Althena? We're meant to believe the Chamber of Rebirth only exists in the Cathedral of Althena, not in the Vile Castle. The connection just didn't work for me.

Okay, so at the end we see Peles and Titus talking. I think it's actually supposed to be Peres, Flora's brother. They're standing on a bridge talking, and Peles/Peres is amazed at how beautiful everything is outside of the Talon Mines, or whatever the hell they were called by the Lind Village. He makes no mention of the mines, but you pretty much get the point. Titus talks about Althena being reborn as Lucia, and then Lucia shows up and tells one of them to hurry up you slow poke. I assume she means Titus, who then morphs into a fairy! What the hell is going on!? Then you see Lucia run past Gabryel and Flora who are talking to someone, and she runs up as Jian turns around. The screen pans as the fairy flies away and then THE END.

Of course before it says "The End," we see the Blue Star and the text rips off the opening theme to Lunar: The Silver Star and some lyrics from Winds Nocturne. I especially liked the "When the time for valor has returned again" bit. I have to say that the end of the game really made me wish for the true Lunar sequel we've all been waiting for, and I'm still waiting for a Lunar game that had the magic that The Silver Star on Sega CD left me with. It was the awesome fully orchestrated music along with the story that I want to experience again. I loved Eternal Blue, but TSS had the magic.

Btw, I saw your names in the credits; Mickey and Kaiser. :)

Kazie Solo
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Kazie Solo »

... Confusing is an understatement, then. *sweatdrops*

So it really is that bad, huh?
<font color=pink>Beware of Phyco the Bunny Master, Lunartic the metal-rolling-pin-wielding Diva Sweetheart, and Kazie the White Bunny. We are going to take over... er, save the world!

...yes, we're accepting friends. ^_^</font>

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Did they spell my name right? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Okay, the game is worth a once through solely on the fact that it's a part of the Lunar series. Is that enough to warrant you buying or playing it? I don't know.... As for myself, I've been a Lunar fan since 1993 so I had to play the game. Unfortunately it will sit and collect dust as I have no interest in playing over 40 hours again. I unlocked every blue chest I could find, and made deliveries in order to get enough money to buy things. The game will definitely require motivation to play it, and at times I did enjoy certain aspects of the game. The most Lunar specific reminiscing you'll find is in the dragon caves.

Finding the Magic Booster in the Blue Dragon Cave was very nice because it reduced spell costs to 1/3 of their original cost. A little late in the game however but still definitely useful.

Kizyr, I actually made it a point to look at how they spelled your name, especially your last name and I believe I recall everything being correct.

Kazie Solo
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Kazie Solo »

Eh? 40+ hours? That's even longer than my total playing time for EBC.

I want to get it because it's part of the Lunar series... but that's just it. Now I'm having second thoughts. :?
<font color=pink>Beware of Phyco the Bunny Master, Lunartic the metal-rolling-pin-wielding Diva Sweetheart, and Kazie the White Bunny. We are going to take over... er, save the world!

...yes, we're accepting friends. ^_^</font>

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I beat it in less than 20 hours.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Obviously I didn't rush through it and I was probably in a lot more battles than necessary just trying to get certain cards. My characters were at levels in the mid to upper 50's when I finished.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Obviously I didn't rush through it and I was probably in a lot more battles than necessary just trying to get certain cards. My characters were at levels in the mid to upper 50's when I finished.

I didn't rush either. I just didn't buy many items or level up much. I also finished at about level 20.

Edit: I can't remember the exact time or levels, but it's somewhere near that.

Loud Mouth
Student of Vane

Post by Loud Mouth »

This game needs a lot of motivation, for those of us with short attention spans. After getting this game, I've actually went through, Suikoden V, LoZ:OT, LoZ:MM, LoZ:WW, and am now pidiling around with Pokemon: Fire Red while playing a MUD... A MUD, that how much I dislike Lunar: Dual screen... erm Dragon Song.

It's mainly the game play that drives me away, not being able to target your attacks, not being able to actually travel through places, losing health while you run, the two battle systems, lack of battle animation variation, irriplacable and expensive items being destroyed by a lucky hit... just far to much crap to put up with to actually enjoy the game.

I'm currently in the Blue Dragon Cave, around level 40, avoiding all battles mainly because I seem to take more damage then I should be... and I can't find those treasures. <_<

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

What's a MUD?

Loud Mouth
Student of Vane

Post by Loud Mouth »

While I don't know exactly what 'MUD' stands for, it's a MMORPG that is entirely texted based. Everything you do must be typed out, from attacking, to 'say'ing, to moving from room to room or even looking at another person.

The MUD, that I play, also enforces Roleplaying. While it's not heavily enforced, you still get in trouble for making obviouse remarks to or of things not found within that world.

But that isn't what this thread is about, I was saying that I'd rather spend time looking at a screen of constently scrolling text, then play Lunar:DS.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

It stands for Multi-User Dungeon. Kinda like how MUSH stands for Multi-User Shared Hallucination and MOO stands for... MUD Object Oriented?

But a MUD tends to be hack-and-slash oriented, while a MUSH tends to be more RP oriented, and a MOO tends to be more of a user-created environment... but the lines are pretty indistinct, as they're pretty similar otherwise.

And as for MMORPGs, they're basically MUDs made graphical and commercial.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time