Wondering

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
KingOfFlyingCats
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Wondering

Post by KingOfFlyingCats »

Alright, so a new Lunar Game. I know it's been out for a while but I still haven't decided if it's worth my time. Not being among the affluent, the decision to invest in both a DS and LUNAR: DS would be a sizable investment for me so what I'm asking is this: is it worth it?

Is Dragon Song enough of an addition to the continuity to be worth purchasing? does it seem like not playing the game will effect playability of later games? Is it fun? and beyond that, what are the odds of the future Lunar Titles being released on the DS? Any help on this matter could be greatly appreciated.
I wonder what ninjas will see in the final days

Hirohiigo Togashi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Hirohiigo Togashi »

I'll say don't waste your money on a DS if you're buying it simply for Dragon Song. Honestly, it's not that great (horrible if you compare it to the other Lunar games). I could think of five other good DS games you could spend your money on that would be worthwile.

I'm finding that I have to <i>force</i> myself to play it, which I don't like to do in video games.

KingOfFlyingCats
Meribian Merchant

All I needed to hear... almost. I still need to know what the odds of the next Lunar game being on DS are.

Still, I don't think I'll be making that purchase. I might buy a recently used copy if it becomes nesseccary for the purposes of playing the next game, since it shouldn't be impossible to find by then.

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

I think its more of a is there going to be another Lunar game. After dragon song the chances are so slim now, the only way is if Game arts realizes that the sales reflect horrid game play and very very bad word of mouth. If there is going to another Lunar good chance it will be DS or psp.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I actually bought my DS for Dragon Song initially. I hate playing handheld games, primarily because of the small screen and the limitations of a handheld. I am more disappointed that a lot of good handheld games would be even better on a full screen with all of the bells and whistles.

DS Light is coming out soon which is thinner and the screen is supposed to be better. Perhaps the standard DS system will go down in price. The system was $119.98 at Wal*Mart last I saw.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I bought the DS for Dragon Song at first too. But there are plenty of other great games for the system to justify a purchase IMO. For example, Phoenix Wright, Kirby Canvas Curse, and the New Super Mario Bros. are all amazing games that I love. Also, many people love the Mario Kart for it (I haven't tried it). Wario Ware Touched looks good, but I still haven't tried (which is sad considering the Wario Ware series is one of my favorites).

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

A friend of mine keeps talking about Phoenix Wright, but I don't know anything about the game. Maybe I'll have him bring it over. Speaking of Mario Kart, an arcade at the local mall has the arcade version but I haven't tried it yet.

KingOfFlyingCats
Meribian Merchant

Your commentary has been very helpful everyone. I still have some thinking to do on this, but I greatly appreciate the commentary. Perhaps I'll see if I can find a way to play it and test before I buy it. Thank you all very much

Hirohiigo Togashi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Hirohiigo Togashi »

Silver Phoenix wrote:A friend of mine keeps talking about Phoenix Wright, but I don't know anything about the game. Maybe I'll have him bring it over. Speaking of Mario Kart, an arcade at the local mall has the arcade version but I haven't tried it yet.

Phoenix Wright is my favorite handheld game. The only flaw it has is a lack of replayability. Then again, Phoenix Wright: Justice for All will be coming out soon.

Atticus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Atticus »

Hirohiigo Togashi wrote:
Silver Phoenix wrote:A friend of mine keeps talking about Phoenix Wright, but I don't know anything about the game. Maybe I'll have him bring it over. Speaking of Mario Kart, an arcade at the local mall has the arcade version but I haven't tried it yet.

Phoenix Wright is my favorite handheld game. The only flaw it has is a lack of replayability. Then again, Phoenix Wright: Justice for All will be coming out soon.

DS is such a great system
I would only say if you have NO plans of buy any other DS games but if you do then get it DS is fun XD
Advance Wars Dual Strike is great
Feel the Magic is nuts
Phoenix Wright (even tho being a Remake of GBA game with a New Case uses DS at end) Is GREAT (Cant wait for 2ed & 3erd make it to the USA)
I hear great things from New Super Mario Bros.
Theres the Final Fantasy III Remake comeing for USA for 1st time
Tales of the Tempest next Tales game is comeing for Japan soon and I would think USA
Trauma Center: Under the Knife is great
There alot good games for the DS but if Lunar is only thing you get it for then dont get it unless you plan on get others

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You forgot Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (which I haven't played but I've heard nothing but good things about it), Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin looks fantastic and hasn't been released yet, Mario Kart DS, Super Princess Peach and some people really enjoy Kirby's Canvas Curse.

I just hate that awesome games like these Castlevania games are only available on a handheld system.

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

Where's the Lost in Blue love?

Lunar Dragon Song is a little below average. It picked up three fourths of the way, but then the ending sent it spiraling down again. A number of the gameplay mechanics were unnecessary and the story is forgettable, though the Four Dragons stuff was a tad interesting.

I am more disappointed that a lot of good handheld games would be even better on a full screen with all of the bells and whistles.

I can see what you mean, but for me, I feel games like Golden Sun and Fire Emblem gained a lot from being portable games as opposed to losing anything. I got to share and show off the two titles when a I went to school and hold short multi-player bursts on occasion. I think portables offer a better influence on communication than consoles generally do, thus why Fire Emblem for Game Boy Advance stands out better for me than its superior GameCube counter-part. A friend and I with a copy of Fire Emblem can share supports with each other, supports I or the other may not have previously had. We can share the unlockable endings, battle one another, etc, by a simple short swap of carts/GBA's. The console version strips a good portion of that down to mere words when you're away from home.

That's my take. Now I need to get back to gaming. Nice to see the good old folks again.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I'm certainly not playing down the good aspects of handheld games, because portability is the whole point of their creation. I just miss having full screen incarnations of fantastic games that haven't had any good sequels for the series released in ages, on the console front that is. Lunar is by far a more enjoyable game with character voices and animated cutscenes to fuel the story. In-game music is "usually" also better on consoles when the limitations of a handheld can hold it back.